Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas created when fuels such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane burn incompletely. CO is commonly called the invisible killer.

 In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. CO is commonly called the invisible killer.

When CO enters the body through breathing it poisons the body causing symptoms including shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness or headaches. The symptoms can often be mistaken for the flu, food poisoning or other illnesses which is what makes it so dangerous.

High levels of CO can be fatal, causing death within minutes.

One method of keeping your home safe is to purchase a carbon monoxide detector such as the one at this link.  

Image: National Fire Protection Association

Advertisement